The sharing of experiences is a cornerstone of sector-wide learning. We therefore regularly organise and take part in conferences.
Groupe URD’s annual Autumn School on Humanitarian Aid provides an opportunity for humanitarian and development actors to discuss issues and share experiences. Since 2003, representatives from NGOs, UN agencies, donors, governmental bodies, etc. have gathered at our headquarters to debate fundamental and topical issues affecting the aid sector.
Groupe URD also organise some events in the field, like the:
- Conference " Mali: after Algiers", Bamako, 15 December 2014.
- Seminar on LRRD in North Mali, Bamako, 19-20 March 2014.
- Round Table on Humanitarian Space and Access in Mali, Bamako, 18-19 February 2014.
- Sahel Learning Exercise with USAID/OFDA, Dakar, 21-24 January 2014.
- Seminar “En quête de la post‐urgence durable”, Port-au-Prince, 30 September to 2 October 2013.
- Feedback and discussion workshop about resilience, with a special focus on the Sahel region, Dakar, 26-27 February 2013.
- Conference "Food crisis in the Sahelian strip", N’Djamena, the 21 March 2012.
Every year, we co-organise conferences on different subjects, such as the French National Humanitarian Conference (CNH):
- the first edition, which took place on the 16th of November 2011.
- the second CNH, the 31th of March 2014.
- the third one, the 23th of February 2016.
Groupe URD has also co-organised various conferences with the French Development Agency, on subject related to the link between relief, rehabilitation and development:
- Seminar "Cities and crises: operational and anticipation strategies", April 2013, Paris;
- “Water and sanitation in post-crisis contexts”, January 2009, Paris;
- Post-conflict seminar, June 2007, Marseille.
Other exemples are the “Civilian health in armed conflict situations” with the Henry Dunant Association and “The Dynamics of Afghan Society” with the French NGOs in Afghanistan collective.
Furthermore, from 2005, Groupe URD is involved in organising the Salon des Solidarités as part of its consultative committee.
We also take part in many conferences in France and abroad in connection with our areas of work (IHL, Urbanism, Water and sanitation, the Environment, Health, etc.).
During 5 years, we also organised a conference in May with the “Gestion de l’Humanitaire” Masters at Paris XII University.
- 2007: États, ONG, Solidarités : jeux de pouvoir et jeux d’argent.
- 2006: La planète dans tous ses états: du phénomène naturel à la catastrophe humanitaire.
- 2005: L’eau qui tue, l’eau qui sauve: premiers bilans de l’aide post-Tsunami.
- 2004: Haïti: autopsie d’une gestion de crise.
- 2003: 10 ans d’humanitaire européen: bilan, enjeux et perspectives.
- Quality in humanitarian actions: thinking ahead, 2014 (debates in English)
- Resilience - buzzword or useful concept?, 2012 (debates in English)
- Cities and crises: urban fragility, humanitarian action and the challenges of reconstruction in cities, 2011
- Mainstreaming the environment in humanitarian action - rising to the challenge , 2009
- The European Consensus on Humanitarian Aid: putting fine principles into practice, 2008
- Security and protection: mission impossible?, 2007
- Humanitarian space in danger, 2006
- Accreditation: a threat or an opportunity for humanitarian agencies?, 2005
- Linking relief and development – what’s new?, 2004
- Humanitarian aid after 9/11, 2003