Our activities on the theme of resilience
Groupe URD’s involvement in debates and discussions on the theme of resilience continues with a number of events during the month of February! A “serious game”, a handbook and awareness-raising videos have been produced and are available on a new website: www.reachingresilience.org. A discussion forum has also been created to share bibliographic references and experiences and establish a network of professionals working on these issues. In parallel, events will be held in Geneva, the Hague and Dakar. The next issue of our review, Humanitarian Aid on the Move, will also focus on this topic, revisiting the debates from last year’s Autumn School on Humanitarian Aid.
The month of February marks the end of a two-year research project on the topic of resilience, conducted by a consortium made up of Groupe URD, Care Nederland and the University of Wageningen, with support from the European Commission.
More about this project.
Based on case studies carried out in Bolivia, Ethiopia and Indonesia, as well as the results of seminars organized in Europe and in the field, the following tools have been developed:
- A handbook aimed at policy-makers, students and professionals on resilience and ways of integrating it into projects, programmes and policies. The examples in the handbook are drawn from the three case studies and experiences shared by aid practitioners working on resilience.
- An educational game (Serious Game) called Reaching Resilience, which aims to help aid practitioners design resilience-related projects by asking a series of questions based on criteria and indicators from the handbook.
- Learn about the concepts and challenges of Resilience and related issues
- See how these factors apply at each phase of the project cycle by stepping into the shoes of a humanitarian worker.
- Short films aimed at a wider audience. Each film shows the context from each of the case studies and underlines the key points which contribute to improving local communities’ resilience.
- How do communities cope with natural disasters?
- How do stakeholders interact to reinforce resilience?
All these tools are now available on a specially-created website: www.reachingresilience.org
This website also includes an English language discussion forum, which aims to build a network of professionals to share information, bibliographic references, tools, experiences, etc. related to resilience.
A number of events on this subject are due to take place in February 2013.
- On 6 February, Groupe URD took part in the conference, “Resilience: What does it mean in practice?” organized by the IASC in Geneva.
- On 26 and 27 February, Groupe URD is organising an experience sharing and discussion workshop on the theme of “Resilience: from the global concept to the specific characteristics of the Sahel” (see the provisional programme).
Training sessions aimed at different audiences will also be organized in several European cities:
- Courses aimed at students: in Brussels (07/02), Bochum (11/02 et 12/02) and Dublin (18/02 and 19/02), in partnership with the Network on Humanitarian Action (NOHA), as well as two days at Madrid University (25/02 and 26/02).
- Courses aimed at professionals, 21 and 22 February in The Hague.
The eleventh edition of Groupe URD’s review, Humanitarian Aid on the Move, will also focus on the theme of resilience. It will reproduce the debates from last October’s Autumn School on Humanitarian Aid which looked at the theme, “Resilience: buzzword or useful concept?” The presentations made by each speaker will be included in article format and there will be a summary of the discussions which took place.