Prospective analysis of regional cooperation 2016/2020
September-October 2015, for Rhône-Alpes Regional Council
The regional cooperation between (Auvergne) Rhône-Alpes and Timbuktu has become well established over time, growing gradually over the years. During the different food crises and conflicts that have affected the country, the cooperation has alternated between a humanitarian approach and supporting the emergence of local government, initially by supporting the Malian decentralization reforms focused on communalization, then by supporting the setting up of Regions. The signing of the Agreement for Peace and Reconciliation in Mali in May-June 2015 should lead to a period of greater decentralization and notably regionalization.
In this context, the study will aim to provide:
- Analysis of the political, security, economic and food context in Mali after the signature of the Agreement for Peace and Reconciliation in Mali and in the run up to local and regional elections scheduled for 25 October 2015
- Analysis of the return of IDPs and refugees in the Timbuktu region;
- Mapping of international Technical and Financial Partners in the Timbuktu region;
- Analysis of possible geopolitical scenarios;
- A SWOT analysis of the existing regional cooperation.
Groupe URD will be travelling to Mali to meet members of Timbuktu Regional Council, Technical and Financial Partners, and the staff of organisations from Rhône-Alpes with offices in Bamako. Then, in France, we will be meeting up with organisations from Rhône-Alpes that are involved in the cooperation between Rhône-Alpes and Timbuktu.