Sustained activity in the Sahel
Groupe URD is going to be evaluated in connection with our activities in the Sahel. The aim of this external evaluation is to continuously improve the quality of our work. We would therefore be very grateful if you would take the time to fill in a feedback questionnaire by clicking on the following link: https://fr.surveymonkey.com/s/ZVQG67N.
Groupe URD has been very involved in the Sahel in the last ten years. The creation of our Chad Observatory, from 2009 to 2012, played an important role in establishing our presence in the region. Numerous activities were carried out and continue in the neighbouring countries.
The Observatory of Aid Practices in Chad, which was in operation from 2009 to April 2012, functioned as a regional Groupe URD office. It aimed to help improve decision-making and the quality of humanitarian aid by helping operators and policy-makers to improve their understanding of the complexity of the context and independently evaluating the repercussions of their actions.
The activities of the Chad Observatory mainly focused on:
- The production of knowledge based on contextual analysis on cross-cutting issues, via operational research and regularly updated evaluations.
- Sharing knowledge and the results of research by adapting the means of dissemination to different actors/decision-makers in order to encourage use of these results.
- Building the capacity of organisations who were active in the field.
Read more about the activities of the Chad Observatory: http://www.urd.org/Groupe-URD-in-Chad
Conferences and workshops in the field
Groupe URD has organised conferences and experience-sharing workshops in the field, such as:
- The workshop on the "Future Humanitarian Financing", 26 November 2014, in Dakar;
- The Sahel Learning Exercise, 21-24 January 2014, in Dakar;
- The workshop, “Resilience: from the general concept to the specific context of the Sahel”, 26-27 February 2013 in Dakar (see a video of the event);
- The conference, “Food crisis in the Sahelian strip”, 21 March 2012 in N’Djamena (see a video of the event).
We also facilitated the workshop, "Exchange of Practices and Lessons Learnt on Resilience Building in the Horn of Africa and the Sahel Regions", 2-3 July 2013 in Dakar (see a video of the event).
Research and evaluation projects
The “Study of Lessons from the International Response to the Sahel Food Crisis”, for the Inter Agency Standing Committee was conducted in Chad, Mauritania, Senegal, Burkina Faso and Niger, in November 2012. This analysis focused particularly on the question of resilience.
In addition, numerous evaluations have been carried out in the Sahel region. The following are projects which are currently underway or have recently been finalized (2013-2016):
- Evaluating Terre des hommes’ Monitoring and Quality department in Mali, May-July 2016;
- Mid-term evaluation of a WFP programme in Niger, August2015-February 2016;
- External evaluation of the agro-ecology programme by Terre et Humanisme in Mali, March 2017;
- Support for the NGO SECADEV in Eastern Chad, November-December 2014;
- Evaluation of the WFP’s “Protracted Relief and Recovery Operation” in Chad (January-March 2014);
- Evaluation of the monitoring systems included in the humanitarian programmes funded by DFID in the Sahel (January-May 2014);
- Evaluation of Oxfam USA’s response to the 2012 food crisis in Senegal and in Gambia (May 2013);
- Evaluation of the “Programme d’appui à la stabilisation (PAS) de l’Est du Tchad” for the French Development Agency (February 2011 - February 2013);
- Iterative evaluation of the “LRRD – REPI 2010” Programme (following the floods of 2010 in the Centre Nord and Est regions of Burkina Faso), November 2011 – June 2013.
See the video made as part of the iterative evaluation of the LRRD REPI project in Burkina Faso, which provides a clear illustration of LRRD issues.