The Observatories activities in 2012
TRAINING: Investing in the future
- 2 training sessions on “Evaluating the quality of humanitarian projects”.
- 36 Haitian professionnals trained in project evaluation
- 2 Haitian universities prepared to integrate the training course into their university curriculums
- Support provided to international and national NGOs and independent consultants for project evaluations.
RESEARCH: Knowledge for action
- Clarification of the notion of communities in rural environments by a social anthropologist.
What is meant by a community-based approach? What constitutes a community nowadays in the metropolitan region of Port-au-Prince? How are communities created, what is their internal logic and what interaction can they have with the state or with NGOs?
- Reconstruction and the environment in the metropolitan region of Port-au-Prince.
What lessons have been learned following the earthquake? Has the pauperization of part of the population since the earthquake contributed to the illegal occupation of land and the growth of shanty towns? What risks have the population faced since the earthquake?
Three case studies: “Canaan – a neighbourhood built from scratch”, “The neighbourhood of Bristout-Bobin” and “Morne l’Hôpital”.
DISSEMINATION: Sharing knowledge
- More than 900 people and/or institutions signed up to the Observatory publications (bi-monthly Newsletters, in-depth studies)
- Articles about humanitarian issues or issues related to the reconstruction : participatory planning, insecurity or the impossible dialogue, the eviction of displaced people, resilience, cash transfer programmes, etc.
- An internet site (http://www.urd.org/haiti) containing the articles from the bi-monthly Newsletter, a virtual library including publications about Haiti, practical guides, etc.
- Discussion workshops / debates about research and evaluation results
EVALUATION: The first step towards learning
- Permanent Housing reconstruction programmes in rural environments, reconstruction of water and sanitation infrastructure - Chaîne du Bonheur (five missions between 2010 and 2013)
- Evaluation of the Support Programme for the Reconstruction of Housing and Neighbourhoods in Haiti - UN-Habitat (three missions between 2012 and 2014)
- Urban planning programme for a neighbourhood in Port-au-Prince - Solidarités International (beginning in spring 2013)