Groupe URD has set up a number of geographic Observatories to analyse certain contexts in greater detail. They provide an opportunity to adopt a mid/long-term strategic approach, conduct studies rooted in operational reality and support field actors. Observatories have a permanent office which is open for a given period and has a dedicated team.
To date, we have opened 4 Observatories:
- In Afghanistan: from 2005 to mid-2008;
- In Chad: from 2009 to mid-2012;
- In Haïti: from January 2012 to March 2015;
- In Mali: from March 2018 to March 2021, in connection with the project to support the KEY programme.
An Observatory allows:
- Real-time learning and the sharing of experiences
- Strategic planning and proactive management of operations
- In situ capacity building with local actors
- Continuous analysis of changes in the context and their impact
- Local networks, (e.g. evaluators) to be reinforced
- Operational research, based on needs
- Iterative evaluations by a multi-disciplinary team