A new observatory in Mali via its mission to provide strategic and organisational support to the KEY programme
The general objective of the KEY programme is to reinforce vulnerable people’s resilience to food and nutritional insecurity. This objective is in line with the European Union’s commitment to support the implementation of the National Resilience Priorities (NRP), established in connection with the Global Alliance for Resilience (AGIR) in the Sahel and West Africa. The KEY programme is based on two specific operational areas: one is reinforcing the capacities of local communities to absorb shocks affecting their food and nutritional security; the other is reinforcing the leadership of the local authorities in the coordination, monitoring and evaluation of all operations.
The support mechanism for the KEY programme that the European Union has decided to set up is therefore an innovative system that aims to improve the quality of the implementation of humanitarian action in crisis and post-crisis contexts in northern Mali. It is coordinated by Groupe URD who is providing organisational and strategic support for the implementation of the programme and for the “agile” management of the operational changes that are made necessary by changes in the context. We also produce knowledge about the context, programme implementation and the quality of the programme’s accountability processes, and contribute to reinforcing the capacity of actors (NGO partners, civil society, and institutional actors) and facilitate knowledge management. Another of our missions is to steer the communication strategy and facilitate the network of actors involved in the programme.
These are all the functions of a Groupe URD observatory. By engaging in our full range of activities for this new field project, we are able to analyse how the Malian context evolves over the next three years and provide strategic guidance to the actors in this unstable context.
Other projects carried out in Mali within the framework of the Observatory:
- Study on priority needs for investment in the Lake Faguibine region in Mali, november 2019 – february 2020
- Study on the different cash transfer methods in Mali (October – December 2019)
- Evaluation of a project to reinforce social cohesion in Mali (July 2019 – August 2019)
- Support in deciding the amount of cash transfers in Mali (June – December 2019)
- Study on the socio-political dynamics in the Malian Gourma area (March – July 2019)
- Study on consortiums and meta-consortiums in the humanitarian sector (March – July 2019)
- Review of the emergency response implemented by the WFP in Mali in 2018 (January – April 2019)